Sunday, January 23, 2011

Rita Coolidge







When I was growing up, this woman was almost mythical to me. I listened to her on vinyl, and looked endlessly at the photos of her on the record cover.
The song that has ruined me for any other song, (thus far at least), was her cover of the Carpenters hit, 'Superstar', which she performed on Joe Cocker's live album for his 'Mad Dogs and Englishmen' tour (this has been my favourite record of all time since I was about 15 years old. Seriously. I listen to it everyday).
She was his 'Delta Lady', and I actually would like her version of this song to be played at my funeral: that's how much I love it. I've never been able to find it online: Youtube or to download it to my ipod: if anyone has any hints; I'd be beyond appreciative.
Anyway... there were lyrics on the inside of the cover of her record; and they have repeated themselves to me since then; since the first time I read them as a young woman.

From 'That Lady's Not For Sale':

She ain't ashamed to show her soul;
She'll sell it for a song.
But free don't mean she's easy
Or ripe for goin' wrong.
So let her be the lady, Lord,
She wants so bad to be.
Let her win the gentle man
That she was born to please.

Amen.

1 comment:

elena-anna said...

love her

love your blog , it's really something. check mine and if you like it follow me and i will follow you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails